Monday, March 12, 2012

Re: Are Atheists and Agnostics Immoral?

In response to Canadian Atheist's blog post "Are Athiests and Agnostics Immoral?" found at http://canadian-atheist.blogspot.com/2012/02/for-thousands-of-years-religious.html?showComment=1331530185324#c5758410998724470321

Just a couple thoughts:

Religious ≠ moral.
Moral ≠ peaceful.
The activities of a state ≠ reflections on the beliefs of its citizens, necessarily.

However, I absolutely agree with your thesis: that atheist ≠ immoral. And I love that last quote so much!

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education and social ties; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death."

And, whether it matters to you or not, I think Christian doctrine backs you up on this, too. The Lord has said that those who die without knowledge of the gospel, who would have received it, will be heirs of the kingdom. And, yes, I think that means moral agnostics. However, he condemned the "religious" people of his time for their hypocrisy. "Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness" (Luke 11:39).

It made me feel sick to read a story – I believe it was one of yours – of a Christian person who said he would have done the most awful thing (I can't remember the exact circumstances) except that he believed in Hell. That, in my opinion, is not morality at all. It is simply fear of punishment, which is great for governments, but not so great for the health of a soul.

I am so grateful for all the amazing people who have gone before in history, no matter their religious beliefs. I have many heroes among them. The people I admire are not necessarily so much those who know truth and try their best to live by it. Rather, I respect and appreciate the people who do not know the truth but are actively seeking it and are nevertheless trying to live their lives the best they know how. In that sense, there are people outside my faith whom I revere more profoundly than many who claim my faith.

1 comment:

  1. SE,

    I like your thoughts on the moral agnostic part. I'd never thought of it from that angle before. The only thing with that though is that someone like me has knowledge of it but just sees most of it as sort of silly and manipulated and written by man.

    Thank you for the great comment though. I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete